Saturday, September 26, 2009

Walking alot!!

Well today has been a good day. Eric is getting more energy and really thirsty now. His throat is a little better, starting to heal more with the grafting and higher white cells. It is amazing to me what these white cells can do and how important they are! Eric went up again from 1.2 now to 1.7- WAHOOO!! His feet and ankles are really swollen retaining alot of fluid.

All of the sudden Eric is on a mission I tell you! I think it is funny cause he doesn't want to admit it but I think he is trying to push himself to get better because the kids are coming on Tuesday. He keeps saying to the doctors what do I need to be by Tuesday, I keep telling him you don't want to push it. He loves the kids and is so excited to see them, if they only could see how hard he is fighting to get stronger and better by the time they come visit. He didn't want them to see him in so much pain and weak.

As for the M & M's , ohh the M & M's competition. Eric is not playing around. As of this morning he had earned the 3rd bandanna and only needed 15 more for the 4th BLUE bandanna. Well if you can believe it he has been so restless, wanting to get out of the room so bad and see a few different colored walls. He has walked 12 more times today = 12 more M &M's! He only has to get 3 more these things to get his last bandanna!

Then he did not stop there, get ready to laugh!! Eric actually bribed his nurse said he would pay her if she would call/ page his doctor and ask if he wears his mask, gown, and gloves if he could go walk around on the 2nd floor. The second floor is all a beautiful indoor park, since patients can not go outside it is filled with artificial trees, flowers, plants, with park benches to sit on and lamp posts lights- a pretty indoor park to make the patients feel like they are outside at the park. As you can imagine I was not to happy about the idea I just don't want Eric to over do it and get germs when his counts are still so low. They usually do not let the patients go this floor unless your levels are higher and white cells at least a 2.0. Eric is close at 1.7 but can you believe this guy- he convinced his nurse to call his doctor and the doctor said since Eric is close and has been doing so good the past few days sure why not, let him walk around for 30 minutes on the 2nd floor!! What? I thought for sure the doctor would side with me on this one, but Eric won!

You should have seen him when we went down there. You would have thought he was a kid on Christmas morning! He just kept saying oh this is so nice, it feels so good to be out of that room! He kept telling me " I don't think you know how nice it feels to me walking, moving, alive!" It brought tears to my eyes seeing how much it meant to him, he really was so happy! He told me I can't wait to get back home to Utah, I want to go outdoors to so many places we have not been. See the mountains, see the trees, go hiking- all the things we can do at home- I agree with him I can't wait until we can be back home!

1 comment:

  1. Hi to you both,

    Give Eric a big hug from us. We are so happy and proud of this bandana bandit!! He is an inspiration to see how he is pushing himself. Soon he'll be at the hospitality lounge getting his own free cookies!

    ReplyDelete