Sunday, September 20, 2009

Up all night in extreme pain..no sleep

Eric had a rough night last night. He was up all night in extreme pain from his mouth sores and throat and his stomach. He kept asking the nurses if they could help him more, give him more pain medicine. I feel so bad for him, he is in so much pain, He told the nurses he doesn't think he can do the pain much longer. They were able to get the doctors in here this morning and they are increasing Eric's morphine pain medicine levels to try to get him more comfortable. He needs that, I hope it works.

He did not get any sleep last night but now he is asleep but the pour guy has the hiccups, he has had them consecutively for the last 4 days. They won't go away, they have tried some meds but still has them. They say that is from all the irritation on the pallet of his mouth, common side effect. I feel bad cause even when he is sleeping the hiccups keep going, jerking his whole body I am sure he is not comfortably sleeping. We have got the morphine PCP pump (patient contorled pump) down to a science - we can only push it every ten minutes for his pain but it still doesn't take the edge off so hopefully them increasing it will. Sounds pretty bad when you realize he is needing the morphine every 10 minutes and that is still not enough but that gives you an idea of his pain level.

He is doing good though, I am proud of him. He is so weak, tired and in pain but we at least have been able to walk at least 2 times a day. Not the 3 times they want but we are trying, I know he is using all his energy to try to get up and walk for me. I asked him an hour ago if he can get up and walk with me for a few minutes and I had to laugh- this is what he said" Can you find a chair and push me in it?" I don't think that is what they have in mind by getting up and walking but I understand what he is saying- that is okay I will let him rest and we will try again later to get up to walk. He says he feels really dizzy today and feels like his muscles in his legs are going away, the doctors tell me that they monitor that and that he doesn't seem to be losing much muscle so at this point they are not to worried yet.

He has not still ate anything nor will he drink. The doctors say they have him on so many fluids that they are not concerned right now with him not eating for a few weeks, that is normal in this process. They will place him on TPN IV feeding if they need to but they will just follow his course and see what they will need to do in the future. Eric tried to talk to the kids last night on the phone he was to weak and throat/ mouth hurt he couldn't even talk to them. My heart broke at that, he started to cry and shook his head "No" that he wasn't able to talk. I feel bad that he can't but I know the kids understand, that is why when the kids come to see him that will be so good for him and the kids. He really has been unable to talk to them so seeing them will be good for his spirits.

We plan on having the kids fly down for UEA weekend which is 9/30/09-10/4/09. I am excited cause the kids have not seen their Dad since 8/24/09 so it will be a nice visit. I hope he is feeling better and turned a corner by then so they do not have to see him like this but either way it will be good to have them come. We love and miss them so much, they are doing good and we are so proud of them. Austin the day I flew back here last weekend put on his face book " I can do it- only 2 more weeks" he is referencing 2 weeks until he gets to come see his Dad. I am excited for the kids, they miss him and he misses them soooooooooooooo much! I do too! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there Eric!! I felt so bad when you tried to just say "Hi" on the phone lastnight. You could hardly get the words out and I could tell in your voice that you were in pain. It brought a tear to my eye. Hang in there and keep up the faith. You are loved by so many and so many that can't wait for you to get better. We love you!
    Love the Phelps Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammie - this is Eric's cousin, Wendy Dunyon. Would you relay to him that he is in our thoughts and prayers. It is so hard to believe that this is really happening to someone I know. But you give me the strength and faith that I need to battle the things in my life. You can do this...where there is a will, there is a way. Hang in there you two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eric and Tammie,

    It sounds like this is the low point the doctors spoke about after 7 - 10 days. We loved the pushing the chair around comment. It shows Eric hasn't lost his sense of humor, and we can smile visualizing that scene around the nursing stations.

    Praying the pain eases and Eric can sleep. We send our love to you both, and the family.

    ReplyDelete