Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mouth Sores....Yuck!




Today Eric pain level is pretty extreme, his mouth is so swollen and sore. He has alot of open sores in his mouth and down his throat, he spitting up blood all day long. They have this suction set up for him due to all the blood coming out of his mouth. It's kind of like the suction when you go to the dentist but it goes into this container hooked to the wall right behind his bed. They have it hooked right by him so he can be suctioned all throughout the day and night.
It is amazing how much blood he has coming out of his mouth, they say this is part of the course, It will get worse before it gets better unfortunately. I apologize if anyone has weak stomach's but to give you an idea I am posting a picture of the blood/saliva that keeps being suctioned out of his mouth, This morning he woke up have blood all over his pillow and sheets from it. That is why he is on constant morphine pump for the pain of the mouth sores and his throat as well as his stomach pain. He sleeps most the time now, he can't remember things at all. We got him up in the shower this morning and he woke up around 3pm here and said I need to get in the shower, I told him " We already got you in the shower today, this morning" that is the morphine talking.
He has lost 20 pounds since the day he came into the hospital, that is what 2 1/2 weeks of not eating will do to you. He has had no fever that is good, he can not even swallow his own saliva his throat is so sore. He drools alot, I should take a picture of that I am sure he would have a joke for us all from that in the future. He told the nurses the other day that you would think for a half a million dollars we are paying you guys that you would provide some more entertainment than these 4 walls to stare at- they laughed! :)

He is really weak and tired but that is also part of this process. We met a former bone marrow transplant patient, he came to visit the nurses. He had the same type of bone marrow transplant as Eric, they call it a Allogenic transplant or MUD which is for a unrelated donor. That is the hardest type of transplant on the body. He had his 18 months ago and looks great, walking around fine and looks just like a typical guy (you would have never known). That gives us hope! He says his energy is not back he only feels about 40% energy from what he was but everyone we have talked to has told us that same thing. Once you go through a bone marrow transplant your energy level and life style is changed dramatically. Eric looked at me and said "Yes I can get out of watering your flowers now!" HAHA...funny guy!

We continue to feel all of your love, support and prayers and know the Lord is walking right beside us sometimes carrying us. I will tell you something what we are going through I would not wish this on anyone. The emotional, physical and mental - it is all so much. We do what the Lord hands us I know, but I have told him many of times in my prayers " I surrender, I have learned my lesson." I guess he thinks I need more....

No comments:

Post a Comment